Waste Management Phoenix Goes Mobile
By Amanda Ghezzi-Rumore • Jan 24th, 2012 • Category: Events & Parties • Print This Post
Did you hear that cell phones ARE ALLOWED IN THE PHOENIX OPEN starting this year? I don’t know about you, but I think this is BIG news. It gets pretty frustrating trying to locate friends and make after-party plans sans cell.
Why are cell and smart phones allowed? Well, it’s probably party due to the new Waste Management Phoenix Mobile App that is now available ( and free.)
The app, developed by Scottsdale-based ABN Mobile Inc., is available for download on both the Android and iPhone mobile devices.
The new 2012 the Waste Management Phoenix Open Mobile App will feature:
- 16th Hole Caddy Races (description below).
- “Take Me There Navigation” — user can search points of interest on the golf course, including tees, greens, concession stands, restrooms, merchandise areas, and can select “take me there” and a yellow path will be generated that will take the user to that point of interest from his/her current location on course
- Car finder — let’s fans know where they parked their car.
- Links to Waste Management Phoenix Open social media (Facebook, Twitter, Four Square, website blog).
- TPC Stadium Course hole descriptions.
- Information on Waste Management, the Waste Management Phoenix Open, the Thunderbirds, Coors Light Birds Nest, local weather and more).
- Daily event feature — information and schedule on what’s going on every day.
“We developed Version 1 of this App prior to the 2011 Waste Management Phoenix Open and it was very well received by our patrons,” 2012 Tournament Chairman Alex Clark said. “This new App is much improved and is meant to be used by fans at the tournament as the 2012 Open will mark the first time cellphones and other PDA’s will be allowed into the tournament.”
16th Hole Caddy Race Guessing Game
Beginning Wednesday, Feb. 1st, during the FBR/Xerox Silver Pro-Am, fans can guess which caddy will step on the green first, for each group that plays the 16th hole. The guessing game rules include:
- Fans can play each day, Wednesday through Sunday.
- Prizes will be awarded for top guessers each day, in addition to all days combined.
- Fan must select caddy of their choice of group on tee box, by color of their bib, prior to the last player hitting tee shot (once the last player hits tee shot, the game will be locked for that group).
- At the end of each day, the fans with the most correct answers will go into a drawing for prizes.
- At the end of all five days, the fans with the most correct answers will go into a separate drawing for prizes.
- Ten 2013 Waste Management Phoenix Open prize packages (includes two Member’s Club tickets for the day they won, and two VIP Birds Nest tickets – Wednesday thru Saturday, Sunday winners will receive four Member’s Club tickets and no Birds Nest tickets).
- Ten 2013 Waste Management Phoenix Open prize packages (includes two Wednesday tickets to 16th hole Oakley Skybox Suite, two VIP Birds Nest tickets and 1 valet parking pass).